W4: Making Sense out of Data
Time: 13:30 – 16:00
Location: ISCTE, Building 2, Room C202
- Maria Azevedo Coutinho, Freelance Designer
- Hélène Veiga Gomes, CRIA-ISCTE
- Laura Korčulanin, UNIDCOM / IADE-UE
- Hugo Rocha, UNIDCOM / IADE-UE
Aim of the workshop
While anthropologists/ethnographers document contextual realities, designers propose changes. What if we combine both disciplines and professional skills?
In this workshop we will explore practical cases and try to understand how can we translate ethnographic research data into new designs, as well as we are going to learn some practical skills how to translate this the same data into useful insights for the design of new products, experiences or services.
What will be going on in the workshop
In the first part, we are going to present relevant examples which are using anthropology research and design thinking in combination to achieve these goals. We are going to work in groups using different creative methods to stimulate design process and applied results.
- new methodologies to stimulate creativity in thinking applied results; finding easily some possible and new solutions to research problems/interests
- learning how collaborative interdisciplinary work process expands our understanding of the problems, spark innovation, and promote great moments of interaction
- reflect on the importance of cultural aspects or insights to the development of new products/services/experiences
Participants should bring:
- enthusiasm to learn new skills and think out of the box